View Single Post
Old 2023-10-12, 16:36   Link #17
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, I could do without the really juvenile renaming of the king and Melty as well.
That is true. It's so supremely childish that it breaks the fourth wall and you can just imagine how this is pure wish fulfillment for the author. (Or if not, then the author is assuming it'll be wish fulfillment for the audience, which honestly isn't much better.) This was definitely another thing the show got strongly criticized for in the first season (this aspect feels designed to appeal to young guys who feel spurned by women, along with the fact that the main women he's close to are all slaves so present no risk of betrayal), and not without reason. There's always this sort of undercurrent of (what feels like) the author's own personal grudges and unresolved issues that seep into the work. Anyway, it's certainly "problematic," but as you say the setting is otherwise interesting and fun, so it's possible at least for some to look past it. I'm not necessarily trying to re-legislate all the show's "flaws" here, but at least I think it's not bad to acknowledge it and that the author hasn't really done anything to "address it" (and sometimes leaned further into it) -- so it just sort of "is" at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
It's not helped by the fact that Naofumi had an out. When the crest was removed from Raph the first time, the author had her go out of her way to get it again.
Well, yeah -- the author is making it as though her "voluntary" enslavement to Naofumi is a sign of her love for him, which is twisted. In a more serious work this might actually be fodder for some deeper commentary (like after the horrors she's seen of slavery, this is her way of reclaiming it or something), but the author really doesn't have enough gravitas to actually make this any kind of serious commentary about it (and clearly wasn't even trying by having the seal painted right on her breasts...). It's definitely pandering to a fetish. But again, not trying to re-legislate it at this point. If I had to talk about all the problematic aspects of all the anime I've watched, we'd be here a real long time...