View Single Post
Old 2023-10-09, 23:22   Link #12
BWTraveller
Born to ship

One thing I like is that this directly addresses something I've often seen people say when they want to talk crap about this series: the slavery issue. There's room to argue about the purchases leading up to this point (especially since, as I recall, while he purchased villagers he removed their crests and only offered to make them his slaves if they wanted the levelling bonus in order to fight). But I've seen a number of people act like he should have done "more" because he's "responsible" for the uptick in slavery. Thing is, as is mentioned here, it's not like he was trying to do such a thing. He tried to buy all the old villagers to bring the village back together and because it made sense to restore the village with help from people that already knew the land. He didn't and to this point still doesn't have the time, money or any other resources he'd need to be able to lead a serious war on slavery beyond the Queen's own action of illegalizing the institution. Did his actions have negative consequences? Yes. Does that mean he's a crappy hero or that he's a bad person if he doesn't do the impractical in a logically futile attempt to undo it? No. If anything, I'd say this makes him more realistic. This is no Mushoku Tensei, but it's a pretty darn good series all the same.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote