View Single Post
Old 2023-07-05, 19:08   Link #26
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
The "Cinderella" comparisons is pretty much accurate. Girl that gets crapped on gets set up with cold, cool bishounen char; a tale as old as time. Honestly, when a character like this feels like they are getting hate and cruelty just for the sake of drama, it feels kinda empty. So while I can sympathize with the lead(Miyo), I don't actually feel it, if you know what I mean. The situation was probably a very realistic one, given the era the story is being depicted in, but it just feels exaggerated here. For one reason or another, I thought of Bibliophile Princess's 1st episode; the ostracization felt much more organic and believable from the perspective of the protagonist(Eli) and thus, could feel for the char better. Still, this was pretty much a setup episode; like Kanon said, how the dynamic between the two leads will be the actual strength of the series. Hopefully it is engaging enough to keep my interests.

One insignificant detail that I liked what how the other caretakers neither ostracized, nor coddled Miyo. They still showed respect, but didn't go out of their way to give her preferential treatment. Even the main caretaker lady that gave her the food on her departure; usually this kind of character "backs" the main protagonist's endeavors, but here, she is just doing her job of taking care of the master's family; nothing more or less. The stern and professional demeanor she displayed during that scene really stood out to me. Compare that to the older lady in the Kido(?) house; def fits that archetype I explained before. I don't see this as being a negative thing though, considering her brighter personality seems to be there to counterbalance the male lead.

Also, Miyo's dad and stepmother have dark hair; the sister has blonde. Makes me wonder there ��....

Last edited by frubam; 2023-07-05 at 19:19. Reason: added stuffs
frubam is online now   Reply With Quote