View Single Post
Old 2023-05-09, 05:52   Link #12
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So... did anyone watch the Power Rangers special on Netflix? Once and Always?
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It's always interesting to see contrasting opinions between normies & fans in cases like this.

This is a (harsh) normie review:
YouTube

And these are fans reviews:
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube

As for me, I can see all sides of the arguments:
Is this special generally better executed than the originial episodes of MMPR back in 1993? Technically, yes, even though with lackluster roster especially considering what they had to deal with (Thuy & JDF are RIP, Austin has legal problems & Mary just didn't want to appear in this) so they had to go with incomplete roster & make the plot about the death & lost of Trini Kwan (Yellow Ranger). There's definitely a little bit more violence in this special than your regular MMPR episode. Just a wee bit, including Rita freely speak of killing the Rangers which is the word that American kids shows tend to avoid .
Does this special live up to the potential of a 30th anniversary and as a swansong for the Trini character? It really depends on your expectation. I personally am underwhelmed by it. Especially with the wooden acting of David Yost who played one of the main protags in this particular story (Billy Cranston/Blue Ranger). It was understandable though considering he never really acted again for about two decades before this IIRC. I just think it's unfortunate and could've been (a lot) better.