View Single Post
Old 2023-04-09, 03:48   Link #10930
sasuke706

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
The author of 90s LN series Gokudō-kun Manyuuki thinks the current crop of isekai stories, esp. the ones that started from Narou, have no originality in them.
Never read or watched her stuff, but what she's said has been said here and elsewhere hundreds of times. Because it's true and obvious.

The bigger problem over no originality is that publishers are enabling this trend...because it sells. For a time, anyway. The market doesn't seem to want originality. I can't even count how many times I've seen a Narou novel, think to myself 'this is trash', and then some months later see it get either a manga or light novel adaption. Or both. They make clickbait titles (strongest, musou, slow life, akuyaku reijou), they get a quick following due to a mildly interesting start and promising premise, and that's all that matters. Publisher sees big following, publisher reaches out, it gets a book. It sells for 1 or 2 volumes, then gets dropped and forgotten by both author and publisher. Like I've seen maybe 2-3 web authors keep writing for a series after the physical version got axed, and one of them even seemed to revive his seemingly doomed publication status due to it.

And then ones with actual planning, writing and passion get ignored or flop. Like I'll use Hishikage Dairi (Kuro no Maou) who just seems to have no luck with publications despite all the qualities for a good work being present.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote