Thread: Crunchyroll Ooyukiumi no Kaina
View Single Post
Old 2023-01-12, 01:16   Link #7
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Episode 1:

I really enjoyed it. I'm getting strong Naussica vibes with nature possibly having overgrown our modern world. Some of the backgrounds are just stunning. There's definitely some hints of Blame! in here, too. Humanity separated with lone travelers moving from village to village.

I enjoyed Kaina being something of a dreamer and wannabe explorer who could imagine people far below. Pretty sure he's about to get his wish to head off on an adventure. I wonder if the holes in the canopy are caused by the tree dying. Less water equals less flow to harden into the glassy ice? Less bugs come and drink the flow from the tree so less repair of the canopy gets accomplished?

Ririha's side of the story almost felt a bit Avatar: The Last Airbender to me. Water tribe being chased by a fire nation ship, anyone? I don't quite understand what her group was doing yet. Early on they mentioned they were negotiating with Valghians only to have a Valghians come attack them. They also seemed to be prepared to lasso a "floater" what with them pulling their hot air balloon basket, but the dialogue seemed to imply that catching one so low was pretty rare. And... is the land where a sage resides somewhere near the surface or were they trying to go up to the canopy?

Anyway, I loved the look and feel. It felt larger than life, epic even, to me in a way that few anime manage to pull off so quickly. And the story beats so far have a bit of mystery to them that I quite enjoyed. So far, this is kinda the one show that's drawn me in this season.