Thread: Crunchyroll NieR: Automata Ver1.1a
View Single Post
Old 2023-01-09, 12:31   Link #48
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I actually picked the game back up over the weekend to compare it myself and they did do a stellar job at it. Absolutely nailed it.

I do have to admit that me saying it felt "rushed" was a poor choice of adjective. Fast would be more like it. And, after playing the opening hours of the game, I think I can pinpoint why I felt that: it's the missing gameplay. The anime did a stellar job at showing all the set pieces but, in between 2B and 9S meeting and the big goliath fight, there are a lot of small moments while you traverse that area that weren't really replaced by much in the adaptation. That makes it a bit hard to follow where the characters are through a short bit in the middle of the episode. It's nothing major or even particularly bad, but it explains why I personally felt it moving fast. It wasn't particularly so, but I do think they could have done with an extra scene or two of just 2B running through the place to better connect both moments.

Mind, that's a very minor nitpick. Overall, outstanding work on the first episode.
Yes, the anime does feel a bit like a speedrun of the opening of the game. It's understandable why that is. I did feel at least for me that the loss of dialogue that happens during the game play, especially from 9S, that eventually endears 2B to him does kind of emotionally blunt their "death" scene and eventual reuniting scene compared to the game.
I still thought the episode was good though.