Thread: Licensed Yuru Camp△ The Movie
View Single Post
Old 2022-11-29, 21:26   Link #17
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
My thoughts 30 minutes in: how the heck aren't Nadeshiko and Rin already married!? What kind of stunt is this moving pulling here!?

But yeah, solid start to the movie. Setting everything up. Certainly setting Rin up to either leave the job she's at or find the passion needed to make headway at that job. But I'm more likely to bet on her leaving the job to run the campsite they are putting together. If Rin was doing something she was enjoying or connected to her getting to camp all the time I'd doubt it more. But the job is more getting the way of her camping. Nadeshiko is the one who seemed to have her head on straight in that sense. She grew to love camping and at least made sure to career search in the direction of working with camping stuff.

Oh good, they found time for the narrator to get into this movie. Took about an hour, but he's welcome to return .

1.5 in: Yeah, that's about what I figured. Things were going smoothly after all. And artifact excavation would be a possibility after finding that piece. Of course I seriously debate whether a museum would really revitalize the area compared to camping. But I suppose schools might drag kids there for field trips or something.

1.75 hours in: I almost feel bad for the museum group at this point. Bet they didn't know they could/needed to provide a video presentation with cute girls and dogs at that meeting .

End: Overall I'd say it was a good movie. Some of the vibes from the movie did line up with what Yuru Camp is. But there were definitely some differences that likely came from a more "theatrical experience." Like following Rin as she dramatically drove around to find lost camp guests and guide them to the campsite. Or just the really dramatic middle part where their dream was looking doomed. Not that Yuru Camp's previous seasons had no drama, but it was pretty contained. Like the group getting a bit worried about temperatures dropping and their phones running out of battery. Dramatic, but they were taken in by fellow campers within minutes so it didn't overstay it's welcome. With the movie the downer middle really hung around for quite a bit until they gathered themselves.

Overall I think it was a solid movie. I'd definitely put it behind seasons 1 and 2 though. Things like Chikuwa looking old and leaving Rin's Grandfather missing (for most of it) did bring some weight to the movie. But in some ways I feel like it was too much weight. I treat Yuru Camp as a comforting series to sit back, relax, and just enjoy. But with the movie there was a bit too much drama for that.

Plus some things just felt lacking. I mean really all these characters are still single? Were they worried about harming the ticket sales by showing their lives progressing personally and not just professionally? Plus it really did feel like they were setting up something for Rin at the start, but...not really. I guess it really was just about her finding more satisfaction with her job and that was the end of it. Somehow that camp site will continue to function with most of them busy with full-time jobs. Doesn't seem like the city is hiring staff to take over now that the site is running.

Hate being too critical though. It was a solid movie. And it captured a lot of what made Yuru Camp work. It's just not the best anime movie I've seen this year and I'm kind of glad this isn't the last thing Yuru Camp gets in anime form. Whether season 3 is the end or not, I feel like a full season is the best way to finish off this series. Even if the movie is technically the end of the timeline.