View Single Post
Old 2022-11-03, 16:36   Link #105
Ghostfriendly

Gigi is too self-centred and badly written to be particularly immoral. She doesn't have any actions or thoughts of real significance because she's a degraded sexual trophy with feminine intuition; that's my problem with her, not her morals. It is a problem that the writers have chosen to place this useless fanservice damsel in a war story where she must rely on the men to whom she's a sex object - that's the standard plotline of sexist tripe, that's the kind of story this is, and nobody should accept that as okay. The Godfather is set in the appallingly chauvinist and racist world of 1940s mafia, but Gundam is set in the future - the only reason that there is no female pilot to rescue Gigi without any sexual trophy implications, that there are no competent female pilots at all and in fact that every female character is helpless, incompetent or irrelevant, is misogynistic writing.

Ghostbusters is deficient in female agency, but it is I think set in the 80s, not the future, where anyone who doesn't want to write a sexist novel or a Handmaiden's Tale dystopia can ensure the genders are equal as they should be. That female characters are possessed of human character and agency as they should be in any period; Ghostbusters at least doesn't have a bevy of disgustingly degraded female characters like Hathaway and Godfather. The original novel is dreadfully racist and I wouldn't watch the film for fun. Haven't seen HOTD but if it doesn't make clear that most of its characters are evil toe rags it's not doing its job properly.

For the third and final time, Esmereldas is described on the wiki as quoteunquote, 'not a regular mobile suit pilot due to skill related piloting issues in her past'. She is not skilled enough to competently pilot any mobile suit, as was very visible in her scene. The little tasks supportive of the male hero you mention count for nothing, next to the degradation of her pathetic and tearful struggle, before the reward of a male hero's acknowledgement for a relatively simple non-combat task. Like those wretched haremites in Iron Blood Orphans, if they even let a women into a mobile suit she has to be swiftly degraded below the men in some fashion.

The Black Knights are a national resistance movement led by survivors of the Japanese army, not terrorists, as I've explained. You've already argued that the EF is tyrannical; I've told you that has nothing to do with terrorism. If Mafty's terrorism is successful and supported in-universe, that only shows that the film has created an idiotic universe. Mafty's goal of deporting everyone offworld through terrorism is every bit as irrational and idiotic as Al-Qaeda's. I've explained that their methods do not differ in the slightest from Al-Qaeda's purposeless killing, because they are not killing for any sensible purpose. Constructing a world where idiotic terrorism is the only answer is itself idiotic, and stupidly artificial as the torturer's dilemma. A story that departs from realism to achieve justice and goodness is quite justified. A story that departs from realism to contrive such an evil turn of events as successful terrorists has to be seriously questioned as to its motives. A story which does not clearly and accurately show good as good and evil as evil has fundamentally failed, and can be well done without.

You're repeating the same irrelevant arguments, so go back on the ignore list.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2022-11-04 at 04:13.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote