View Single Post
Old 2022-10-31, 20:27   Link #14
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Rereading the novel again, I can see where you are coming from with the moral quandary angle.

I wonder if the author perhaps overlooked this angle, given their primary focus in the greater plot was the angle of preordained duty vs free will;

Spoiler for possible spoilers from novel:
I did appreciate the free will vs preordained duty angle. It made the power system of this series a great deal more interesting. Even before the reveals about Ruti and the hero, it was interesting looking at characters dealing with the paths that their skills were pointing them towards. And of course Ruti basically having that hero status forced upon her and stomping out her very identity was interesting.

It did make conflicted over Red. Since his calling was a great deal more flexible in nature, his own will was highlighted even more since he could do just about anything with it. It did make me wonder about his own morality since he mostly chose early retirement after a very mild push to leave the party by one member of that party . But it did allow the show to unfold in a pretty good way so I mostly really liked the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I definitely remember in season 1 there were some people pointing out how Red and co. was like an anti-Spider-Man in terms of deflecting overall responsibility to the wider world or society in favor of just protecting their simple life.

Of course they really didn't develop or expand much on the Demon Lord plot and the ramifications of Ruti not being the Hero or doing anything, so it was difficult to really put the emotional conflict into context beyond the fact that the audience was more invested in the SoL Romance than the "main plot" which basically took over the end of season.

Also they broke a drug dealer out of prison to make drugs and then let him go after he helped them .
I mostly forgot about the drug dealer part. Though I was mostly ok with it. Since that was for Ruti's sake. And Ruti is cute, therefore her actions are mostly forgivable .