View Single Post
Old 2022-09-29, 13:11   Link #46
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

025-8 and SO4

Yeah, so the blu-ray is out. Finally, finally, finally got a chance to watch this. I enjoyed it. I liked the song from the beginning when it was released on iTunes and the like months ago, and the animation accompanying it was pretty darn good. This wasn't some underfunded side project. It felt like some substantial artistic heft was put behind it.

Basic premise is Ranka is at a concert and a protoculture ruin calls out to her. She and the Skull Squadron crew go out to investigate and Ranka enters a big protoculture structure that resonates with her singing and echoes and amplifies her memories of Alto and Sheryl in dramatic musical fashion. In the end, the structure fires a beam off into space supposedly pointing the way to Alto.

Again, the animation was pretty well top notch. Lots of great effects. A surprising amount of good hand drawn animation. There's one scene of Ranka pulling off a waterlogged jacket while running where the camera spins and spins around her and it's just excellently drawn! The very end went a bit more computer animated like d Shooting' Star b or some of the more recently Macross Delta songs... but it's all glowy and fold magic etherealness by that point so it's not too big a distraction.

If I was in charge of Macross, I'd do a few of these short films detailing the finding of Alto and reviving of Sheryl. As it is... I don't have a ton of confidence the minor bit of plot here will actually lead anywhere, but I liked the way it pointed nevertheless.