View Single Post
Old 2022-09-06, 12:58   Link #28
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
Some days ago I read the first volume of the official translation of the novel Oversummoned, overpowered and over it, and at the end of the volume
Spoiler for protagonist's character development:
Interestingly enough, reactions from readers in the official forum were mostly negative, and the series is apparently cancelled, reinforcing the idea that these kind of stories aren't too popular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
You need a sociopath to be charismatic which I doubt the average LN (or narou) author can really pull off. Usually it ends up stuck in edgelord or chunni tropes.
I can't speak for the reference in question since I haven't read that story, but I don't think they need to be charismatic but they do need to be interesting and their behavior does need to be believable. There has to be a series of actions that the character takes and/or is subjected to that make you think "Yeah, things were kind of moving in this direction," even if the big bad that they do is still shocking.

This is why a character like Jinx from Arcane works so well and Daernerys turn not so much. Here's an awesome character deep dive, that honestly should be watched if you're even just remotely interested in understanding how to write a compelling character arc.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, the creator of the video calls it madness, but what Jinx goes through is almost textbook psychosis.