View Single Post
Old 2022-08-07, 00:37   Link #18
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I dont have a problem with slavery, rape and torture (as morally reprehensible those are) when they are shown in manner showing that this is the kind of thing that happens since the dawn of humanity. My problem is when they are used in an exploitative manner, like why I eventually tuned out of show like Redo of Healer. In the case of Shield Hero, its problems lies not in slavery but somewhere else (its own writing, especially the uneven treatment of the other heroes, who should be more nuanced).

I have seen grognards praising the early 1990s oavs era as some kind of Golden Age of animation, because of what? Violence and erotica? I counter argue that those oav are mostly forgotten for a good reason: they are not as groundbreaking as grognards think those are.

Works featuring those tropes that stood the test of time offered much more than that. Berserk and Akira are more fondly remembered than Wicked City (as much as I adore Yoshiaki Kawajiri) because there were a purpose and a message behind them.

Last edited by Sheba; 2022-08-07 at 00:47.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote