View Single Post
Old 2022-08-06, 07:58   Link #12
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, not to speak for them, but I didn't interpret it as though they were actually really looking for shows where the protagonist did these kinds of things without the attempt at rationalization... but just saying that they find it silly that shows introduce these kinds of elements in the first place only to rationalize it away with flimsy/convenient logic to make it seem "not so bad."
I'm probably too cultured when it comes down to it, my avatar was from Dohna Dohna for 6 months and I was contemplating a switch to Holy Knight Ricca soon. And isekai is usually just popcorn watching for me so unless its particularly tone deaf I let a lot slide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
A point about this is that even the author himself has apologized for this, recognizing that it was a sign of their immaturity as a writer at the time. And I think fundamentally, as I suggested before, that is probably an issue a lot of the time with works like this. A lot of these stories were written by true amateur writers (basically original fanfic posted online) that only later got popular and then published, and SAO was definitely in that category (along with things like Shield Hero also discussed in this thread).
To a point I can agree with that but even experienced authors are mostly writing to tropes and when things like the slave harem have become sort of cliche it massacres what nuance is left. Also, the tone can vary wildly depending on when an isekai started publishing which becomes a bit more noticeable when fairly early isekai get adapted late (Jobless Reincarnation or Isekai Meikyuu de Harem wo for example).
stray is offline   Reply With Quote