View Single Post
Old 2022-08-05, 15:04   Link #34
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Umm, why would I recommend something and say "that's not what I was looking for"? That's the reply I give when people suggest something that doesn't fit, followed up with the reason it doesn't exactly fit. In the past when I'd asked for recommendations I got very accustomed to saying that to people, even people who didn't seem to even read my request.
Your stance seems fluid but I digress; there's two major problems with suggestion threads: people who give suggestions for self satisfaction and to basically push their favorite series and people who ask for recommendations expecting someone can read their fucking mind. If someone asks for recommendations and isn't willing to engage on what they like and dislike its hard to give them anything other than the most basic of suggestions, and mindless politeness with no follow up just feeds the self satisfaction types.

Suggestions would work better IMO if more people did what the OP claims he did and said straight up "this character is too OP" in response to a suggestion that didn't work for him but so far you've been more concerned with the recommender's sense of self satisfaction and ability to argue for their recommendation or something when IMO they should just give a fucking better recommendation, especially now that they should have a clearer picture of what the person asking wants. Maybe I'm misinterpreting something but I still think its overall bad advice to put politeness over engagement.