View Single Post
Old 2022-08-05, 13:43   Link #33
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
This is bad advice IMO. There is a time and place for everything and if people are just throwing shit at a wall that's one thing but if you're the one trying to recommend something there's nothing less helpful than "that's not quite what I was looking for". Commentary on recommendations -- especially if they're just outside the strike zone -- is a part of being "specific" and if people are sincere should get you better recommendations once they know your actual thresholds for certain elements.

Its tough to find good recommendations though, I really tend to prefer just tag surfing on MAL, Dex, VNDB, etc.
Umm, why would I recommend something and say "that's not what I was looking for"? That's the reply I give when people suggest something that doesn't fit, followed up with the reason it doesn't exactly fit. In the past when I'd asked for recommendations I got very accustomed to saying that to people, even people who didn't seem to even read my request.

Also, when offering suggestions, sometimes that's all I do is say "you might find something good looking at this trope or this tag on MAL, BakaUpdates, etc." At least if I don't have something that I think is a really good fit and a really good watch/read.