View Single Post
Old 2022-08-04, 13:01   Link #27
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
And the fact that these guys can never bring up any real counter arguments and just resort to spamming personal attacks is also a dead give away that theres something wrong here. A normal discussion would be something like :

Me : I think this character is OP

They : I dont think they are, and this is why...

The actual "discussion" is :

Me
: i think this character is OP

They : omg stop lying!!! are you blind or something??? the MC isnt OP at all!!! Downvote, DOWNVOTE!!!
I assume, then, you are not talking about this forum (since we have no downvote anyway, and this is part of why). In my experience, some places on the Internet just don't attract people looking for reasonable dialog and conversation, so you just shouldn't look for "objective recommendations" from those kinds of places. My guess is that the forum you're talking about (maybe a Subreddit?) is a place where a lot of trolling occurs on all sides, so everything becomes polarized and reactionary.

That said, I will also comment from my experience... sometimes when people relay these kinds of stories, they portray themselves as a bit more reasonable than they actually come across. For example, rather than being like "I think this character is OP", sometimes people are extremely aggressive and provocative in their phrasing, to the point of almost attacking fans of the work. Obviously I don't know about this situation, and I am not trying to accuse... but I have become skeptical over the years about any one-sided story that seems like "I was being entirely reasonable, and the other party was entirely unreasonable." It does happen for sure, but most of the time there's blame to go around.

Anyway, if you do see any of this kind of behavior on this site, please report it.