View Single Post
Old 2022-08-03, 07:49   Link #13
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Well, honestly I could understand with SNAFU as well. I mean, you yourself said there have to be at least three love interests, and I don't think there are any significant love interests besides Yui and Yukino.
I never mentioned "significance" -- that's your goalpost, not mine -- but its kinda sad that chain smoking best girl Shizuka-sensei isn't "significant" enough for you. And there's Iroha too. Hachiman spends like half the series being flirty with girls other than Yui and Yukino, and if its on the fringe like that its probably not something to suggest to someone who absolutely doesn't want a harem, especially if you're going to be belligerent about labels after the fact.

You've always had first girl bias and such in harems but what you've got a lot of nowadays is a harem element without harem stakes. There's zero chance of Kirito going for Alice or Sinon over Asuna but you can still sell plenty of their merch. As I see it stuff like Oregairu is really built to fit into that grey area, as well as Rental Girlfriend and similar series. Maybe harems haven't died but they've definitely changed quite a bit.