View Single Post
Old 2022-08-02, 21:12   Link #11
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Someone did some surveys on r/anime pretty recently and its sort of shocking that some people consider Date-A-Live and Bakarina something other than a harem... and a few think Tsuki ga Kirei IS a harem...

I'm not talking about borderline cases, I'm talking about people specifically downplaying elements or obfuscating genres. Something like OreGairu is a good example of a series that more people than not would call a harem but fans sometimes get really offended if anyone calls it that.Do you mean "true harem" in terms of polygamy?

I'm comparing to harems of like 5-15 years ago; people's expectations are different and you can't really do an open ending after 15 years of syndication nowadays. And stuff like SAO and Monogatari made it possible to be a harem while the MC was in a monogamous relationship.
Well, honestly I could understand with SNAFU as well. I mean, you yourself said there have to be at least three love interests, and I don't think there are any significant love interests besides Yui and Yukino. Sure, there may be a couple other girls who crush on him, but to my recollection they're quite frequently absent and play a much more minor role in the story. If people don't see them as being serious love interests then it becomes a love triangle and nothing more.

It again comes down to perspective. If it's enough for a certain number of girls to like him, then it's harem. If they have to play a sufficient role in the story or have a sufficient amount of screen time or interaction, maybe not.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2022-08-02 at 22:05.