View Single Post
Old 2022-08-02, 13:24   Link #6
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
I dont remember the exact titles off hand but they were the usual isekai titles. You know the type, ordinary japanese highschooler gets isekaied and gets a cheat and a party full of hot girls in 3 chapters and he is stronger than s-ranked adventurers or something. And every arc is about him beating up some "bad guy" and adding a new girl to his harem who instantly falls in love with him.

The strange part is when i go back to these people and tell them that the series isnt what they described, they lose their shit and start screaming insults at me, accusing me of lying, etc. Its impossible to have an actual discussion with them where we give examples to backup our arguments, etc. And if its on some place like reddit with a voting system, i just get mass downvoted as well.

Edit : Oh one title i can think of is "The Exiled Reincarnated Heavy Knight Is Unrivaled In Game Knowledge", so i looked at the first few chapters and even though he's supposed to be "weak", in one afternoon he leveled up and became strong enough to tank a raid boss. When i pointed that out and said "hey, you said he wasnt OP, but he became this strong in just one afternoon while everyone else trains for way longer to reach the same level...", i just got attacked, accused of lying, blind, etc.
Haven't read that one, but just going by that title I again suspect it might be a difference of perspective. Like, did he have an ability that let him level, or did he just have knowledge of some workarounds that let him grow fast? Makes me think of Mother's Basement's analysis of isekai. Instead of just saying OP, he refers to multiple "difficulty modes". There's "God Mode", the one we see most these days where the hero is just given some sort of ability at the start that makes him unstoppable, "Grind Mode", where the hero has the potential to gain that kind of power if he works hard enough (see Mushoku Tensei), "Cheat Mode", where some knowledge, talent or ability that the hero even had in the real world makes him unstoppable in this world, regardless of whether he was strong or not in the previous one, and "No Mode", where the hero doesn't have any ability he lacked in the previous world and doesn't experience any benefit from things he could already do (see Now and Then, Here and There for a dark example). Going purely by the title and the fact that he leveled fast I'd guess that that one was a cross between Grind and Cheat modes, with him gaining power through hard work with some boost from gaming knowledge that helped him out. Honestly though, if your problem is being unrivaled, that word on its own should've warned you off.

In some cases it can be a little hard to judge though, if you ask me. Take, for instance, The Wise Mana's Grandchild. This one does very quickly have the hero become absurdly powerful, partly by skipping his grinding years. However, it also makes it clear that this isn't some God-given special talent but just something gained through training under great teachers along with scientific knowledge that let him try things others hadn't thought of; furthermore, it makes it clear that he's far from special by not only having enemies that he has to work hard to face but also showing others with talent rapidly catching up with him just by changing their training to match that used by the Wise Man and Guru who trained the MC. I could see you considering him OP since he's still the strongest character in the story, surpassing even his teachers. But I could also easily see people arguing against the OP categorization since there's not the slightest hint of "God Mode" unearned power and it's made clear that he's not really any more special than his peers.

And again, the same goes for harem. There are a lot of variants to harem series. There may be some that wouldn't consider The World God Only Knows to be a harem, since the majority of the girls forget him immediately after they're "conquered" and even after a few remember he still never shows any actual romantic interest in any save one.