View Single Post
Old 2006-08-18, 19:51   Link #26
4Tran

Zeta Gundam has lots of good points and lots of bad points. I think that it’s an important show for just about any gundam fan to watch, and it’s fairly entertaining, so I think that you’ll enjoy it. I’ll just touch on the major points:

Upsides
Excellent Characters. Quattro, Haman, and eventually Camille have lots of interesting points. My favorite is Amuro, even though he has relatively little screen-time.

Mecha Action. Zeta has some of the better mobile suits, and some of the best choreography of the early Gundam shows. Even though its artwork is older, I think that the style holds up fairly well against the newer shows.

Interesting Ideas. Zeta is concerned with further exploring the themes first brought up in MSG. The way they play out is often quite intriguing.

Downsides
Writing. Zeta mostly has tolerable writing, but on occasion, it’s absolutely abysmal. The only Gundam TV show that has worse writing is ZZ.

Unauthentic Depiction of War. Like many Gundam shows, it just doesn’t feel like there’s a war going on. It doesn’t help that the creators keep trying to tell us that “this is what war is like” when it seems as if they’re the ones who don’t know what it’s like.