View Single Post
Old 2006-08-18, 13:24   Link #37
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai
How did you guys stumble upon this game anyway? Did you watch the anime/read the manga and decide to play through the game, or did you have the good fortune to pick up the game awhile back and get into all this before it became popular?
Well, first of all it was immensely popular by the time Tatarigoroshi-hen came out several years ago, so I jumped on the bandwagon back then. After that I was instantaneously hooked.

It's not good fortune - it's just that the average Japanese otaku knew about it years before and while no otaku outside of Japan cared less until it became animated.

It's the same cycle with everything:

1. [insert game title here] immensely popular in Japan
2. foreign fans disses it as being an ero/bishoujo game (or in the case of Higurashi - judging by the art designs alone)
3. anime comes along and becomes popular, and people start asking the same redundant question "is their [sic] an English patch for this game lol"
4. Japanese otakus have already moved on to something else
5. repeat cycle from 1 again

Besides (before the forum crashed) the original Higurashi thread was started way back last year. The only people active in that thread were me and Sushi-Y, with particularly ZERO interest from anyone else.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-08-18 at 16:04.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote