View Single Post
Old 2022-01-15, 16:50   Link #15
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Yes, I also tried reading the LN, but the official translation is unfortunately butchered, so it wasn't fun to read.

The other two I've got bookmarked, but I do not have much hope as for the cliches. Youjo Senki was the last anime that positively surprised me in this aspect and it's been like five years since that one came out.

Also, I do not have anything against the concept of cliches at all.
I'm just so very, very tired of the specific cliches that get repeated so often in anime. Like a loner learning the value of friendship or learning that your enemies are living things, too. Or the whole ganbatte thing. Etc. etc.

Meanwhile, I'm having a blast with Chinese cultivation stories and I feel that cliche isn't a strong enough word to describe their similarities. They are basically carbon copies. But the protagonists kill people they do not like without second thought, and if someone really offended them, they kill their entire bloodline, too. Even people who are completely unrelated to the conflict. Even children. And it's just so refreshing to have protagonists not give a single fuck. The very best of those are where the protagonist is evil himself. You get the same stories, but from a different perspective, which is also very interesting. But not in the sense of the typical anime approach, where the Demon King is the good guy who tries to live in harmony or whatever. No, the progatonist in those, upon meeting a new person, will first think whether he should kill that person or not, considering which will benefit them more.

Anyway, enough rambling. Bottomline is I'm so very tired of the typical anime cliches of everyone wanting to live in harmony.

PS: Even that spider anime managed to waste the potential of the source material, by not telling part of the story from the spiders perspective, but from the stupid idiots that the source material was making fun of in the first place.