View Single Post
Old 2021-11-11, 18:21   Link #7
Strahan

You can go into computer management and remove the E: from the SR volume, that's totally unnecessary to have a drive letter connected to it. Any drive aside from the system volume (typically c:) can be changed to whatever you want - caveat being, you obviously need to let programs know that was done. If you have like F:\Apps\Photoshop\photoshop.exe and you change F: to I:, then the shortcuts to Photoshop in the start menu need to be edited and anything in the program's configuration that references F: has to change to I:, etc etc.

Personally, I moved away from drive letters. I have a pair of file servers I use for anime and other media, one is 42 TB RAID6 the other is 45TB JBOD. Since the one is JBOD, to access all the media I'd have to map nine drive letters. Then I also like to have mappings to the rest of the systems on my LAN, which would result in 12 more drive letters lol. Folder mounting is so much cleaner.

What I did was copy linux's /mnt idea and made c:\mnt then you go into drive management and remove all letter mappings, then map to c:\mnt as a folder. Then for network shares, one can make symlinks to that folder. Works great. Then if you really wanna get fancy, you can leverage DFS to make one single UNC path that has a collection of all the various systems' media. I use that to tie all the random content from the JBOD system into one path. I have \\domain\video which picks up each drive's \media\video folder content and collates it. Very efficient and clean.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote