View Single Post
Old 2021-07-08, 14:22   Link #22
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I gave the benefit of doubt with the first two episodes, but I'm really concerned about Sotsu as a whole considering its structure and content by the end of Oniakashi.
Sure, certain parts were necessary to figure out what actually happened: people who knew about OG Higu could infer Rina was already dead since Rena mentioned about "happiness" during the Usoda scene and the family talk. By contrast, newcomers don't know about that.

But that's far as it goes. I understand the anime staff is trying to emulate the "kai experience" for the newcomers, but even for them, it is questionable. In OG Higu, Takano was always suspicious but you never knew what was the actual red herring since there wasn't enough info (corpse identifaction relying on her dental print data etc). But we already knew about Satoko by the end of Gou. It is actually worse because the series outright tells you how she could possibly do that.
So the fact Sotsu doesn't really reveal much is a huge letdown, moreso that it skipped the noteworthy part of Onidamashi (Rena and Keiichi's fight and the nurse). So in the end, it didn't even need to confirm anything since anyone could already figure out what happened in the damashi arc for the most part. And it is actually kind of baffling Satoko just didn't anything aside of the injection and smiling like a gremlin. I was expecting her to manipulate Rena so she could divert her hostility towards Keiichi while deceiving Rika in the meantime, but she was really that passive.

And I'm afraid the rest will be the same. Wataakashi will most likely do some exposure regarding Shion's life at St Lucia, the Oni tatoo and the Sonozaki. But the audience knows already the Sonozaki aren't bunch of ruthless Yakuza, so this one will fall flat as well.