View Single Post
Old 2021-07-08, 08:29   Link #75
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Well, I don't think enhanced interrogation tactics (or outright hostage usage) is all that commendable,
I never said what Kenneth did during the interogation is commendable. Still, it makes sense and practical. Like I said, this is not a formal war like during the OYW & Neo-Zeon War. There is no war rules. Mafty is a terrorist organization to the EF, just like Al Qaeda & ISIS are to the world. And it is a fact that Mafty drew first blood by shooting the building and killing innocents alongside the EF officials in Davao. Based on the innocent lives that Gawman (unintentionally) took, he might as well forfeit his life when he got captured by the EF coz terrorist do not get as many convenient rights as war prisoners unless they cooperate. Unlike war prisoners, terrorist are just straight up murderers. Captured terorrists (who have killed innocents) who do not cooperate do not get much mercy.

Let's change the perspective a bit. Imagine if Hathaway was Bin Laden, and you got one of his terrorist boys in custody. If he doesn't cooperate, roughing him up until he spill some info is pretty much standard procedure for dealing with such terrorist. Using him as a hostage in order to lure/catch/kill Bin Laden sounds like a great idea too. Same thing with Hathaway & Gawman's situation.

Quote:
and I think it was deliberate that they showed the Federation forces going above what would be considered acceptable casualties in a war situation, at least in my opinion.
The simple fact is: it was Mafty's main fault that so many civilians died during the Davao raid. Mafty was targeting the building fully aware that it would result in civilians casulties. Heck, Gawman himself said so. Mafty brought the battle in the middle of the city while the EF forces can only respond in kind.

If Mafty is doing what a terrorist do, they need to prepare themselves to be treated as such terrorist. Even Gawman was prepared for the consequences when he got captured. He was lucky that Lane Aim had too much pride in him and let Gawman go (probably naively so).

Quote:
I also don't think his criticism of Lane involved that at all, but I guess it could have.
Maybe, maybe not. But a good MS pilot is always preferrable than a bad one. Hopefully he'll cause less collateral damage.