View Single Post
Old 2021-07-07, 17:28   Link #66
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You just had to remind me of Guilty Crown, didn't you. Who ever did the last episode of that series needs to be shot... metaphorically speaking... of course...

- Tak
Not even the last episode itself, to be honest. I believe episode 20 was like the super big flashback episode explaining like 95% of the plot for the entire anime all at once with like no shame because what the hell at that point. And if episode 15 and 18 had not existed, it likely would've gone on alright but sadly those episodes existed so it turned into a slow moving car crash which resulted in outrage online. And I specifically remember thinking at the time, "Isn't this also directed by Yoshino who helped in directing Frontier? So I guess everyone is probably glad now that Frontier ended like it did even if areas of it did drop the ball." Because I remember now how Guilty Crown and Frontier both have a similar "flashback" type episode wherein 95% of the plot is explained. Frontier had episode 23, after all. And now I realize no Macross TV series prior really was like "let's sit everyone down for a full episode and explain the plot." Then Delta had a similar episode and I'm kind of like "of all the things Kawamori could learn from his time working with Yoshino and this had to be it..."

In Delta, however, it's more forgivable if you consider people in Japan watch this weekly in between stuff in real life and likely they don't remember everything about the plot by the time the second half is in motion, especially because there's so many characters.

On topic, I don't have a lot of hopes for the movie; but maybe that comes from it being "in production" for so long. After all, in 2016, this movie and the recap movie were announced literally at the same time; only this movie had no title at the time. So it's been "in production" (meaning draft scripts, voice recording, and animation) since at least late 2017 when production on the recap movie ended. That's... a long time to sit on something... Makes me wonder how many drafts Kawamori had to pitch before this got greenlit.
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote