View Single Post
Old 2021-07-01, 18:17   Link #7
Dextro
He Without a Title

Fully agree with you guys. While it's always fun to see Rena go mental, and while it's fun to see the reasons for her to go mental in this particular arc, overall it adds nothing to the plot and it's just a way of padding the runtime until we get to what everyone really wants: the resolution of the Rika x Satoko conflict that's been hanging ever since the second to last arc of Gou.

As you folks mentioned already: we know what's going to happen anyway.

And I can't even say this second episode was anything to write home about. Much as I love Nakahara Mai, some of the scenes in this episode felt really off character for her Rena voice. The scene where Rena was chasing Rina in particular stands out. Rena's laughing just felt weird, not so much a person going insane as an actor trying to give off the impression of such a person. I'm hesitant to draw conclusions but it almost feels like the actress in the booth didn't have a good reference to play off of, or the director failed in conveying what he wanted. It's not the first time I've felt the voice directing as a weak point in this show, but it might have been the first time it truly bothered me. But maybe I'm just being overly critical.