View Single Post
Old 2020-06-12, 19:06   Link #78
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
I didn't get the vibe at all. She wasn't doing anything all the special other being featured in some fights. The real draw of trailer and where a lot of the discussion on the net has been happening is around the new characters like Echidna and Garfiel.
I think the main takeways from the trailer were Subaru meeting Echidna, Subaru finding Rem, and the fight between Rem and those two new villains (or is it one that just transforms?). Getting some "Rem's last stand" vibes .
Quote:
Its actually why I don't consider her the main heroine. Her character after the second arc became entirely too dependent on Subaru for relevance and lack of personal goal outside of Subaru's romantic interest hurts her more than helps in the long run. With Emilia and Subaru that's just only one part of their relationship which why they end clashing sometimes. TBH, regency bias and Subaru being the POV character gave Rem perception of being a bigger character than she actually was in grand scheme of things. So I'm not surprised that story can continue on well without her, especially since her main role in the 2nd of S1 was to help facilitate Subaru's development after he lost everything rather than it being about herself.

I mean she's fine, but Rem is rather overrated at this point terms of character compared to several others members of the cast.
I guess it depends on one's standards for a Main Heroine since I felt her relationship with Subaru and how that impacts him was as central to the arc as Subaru's character development was. I mean, Emilia's more plot relevant because of her relationship with Satella and overall in-universe standing (and Subaru loves her too) but just in terms of the third arc I felt Rem was very impactful in terms of her use and her relationship with Subaru.

Frankly I'm not surprised that it seems like they are "taking her out" to such a degree because, beyond popularity, she would have been too convenient to prevent Subaru from suffering given how their relationship dynamic ended up. Now he has to move forward with his vow without her by his side.