View Single Post
Old 2019-11-28, 21:01   Link #81
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Manga Retelling Torture of Muslim Woman in China Goes Viral:

"Artist Tomomi Shimizu's manga retelling the account of an incarcerated and tortured
Uighur woman in China has spread around the world with translations in multiple
languages. What Has Happened to Me (available here in English) is told from the
perspective of 29-year-old wife and mother Mihrigul Tursun who was detained at the
Ürümqi airport in China while attempting to visit her parents with her young triplets.
Her children were separated from her, she was tortured, and one of her infants died in
custody.

She was released back to her home in Qiemo County, an area of China that neighbors
Tibet but authorities would summon her again.The woman stated that she was
interrogated and beaten for three days. When she muttered "Allah," she claimed her
attackers mocked her and she was moved into a cell under 24-hour surveillance with
50 other prisoners. That's when the brainwashing program started.

The woman and her fellow prisoners were led to pray to the leader of the communist
party, Xi Jinping, and sing songs praising communism. She said she was forced to
ingest pills and receive injections. She'd later discover that the drugs left her infertile.
After her release and yet another detainment, Tursun was able to get the Egyptian
government involved on behalf of her children, who hold dual citizenship. She took
her children to Egypt to discover that 26 of her relatives were arrested and would not
be released unless she returned to China within two months. She asked the
authorities why she had to suffer.

"Because you are Uygher.""

See:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...-viral/.153745

That's horrifying, but everything something this horrible makes public, I also worry about Chinese minorities in certain countries.

Demagogue clerics will often direct the anger at Chinese minorities
Even though there no relation between Chinese immigrants living in the country and what the Chinese Government is doing

Really, is making this into a manga the best way to do this?

I can already imagine the anti-Chinese immigrant propaganda leaflets in countries like Indonesia.
I guess what I'm trying to say is they're sensationalizing this in a bad way? is it just me?

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2019-11-28 at 21:14.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote