View Single Post
Old 2019-10-03, 15:57   Link #95
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
This goes both ways. The police are the enforcing arm of the Chinese government which includes the bill as well. It is highly hypocritical to be against the bill while indirectly praising the police for their disciplined violence.
I’m directly praising them, and hypocrisy is not at play here. When the protests started, the police did not employ anti-riot measures. The citizens had the right to assemble without fear of harm. There’s a separation between the bill and what the rioters are doing presently: the rioters themselves don’t have a goal in mind beyond wanton destruction, unlike the protestors of June.

Quote:
Using excessive gun use to defend other instances of excessive force isn't exactly the smartest argument.
So, enlighten me as to what those "smartest" arguments are. A citizen does not have the right to attack law enforcement, and law enforcement are trained to respond to a situation. The consequences of their actions are investigated after and then judged as to whether they are lawful, but the rioter who got shot in this case cannot say that it was an improbable outcome of rushing the cop with a pipe. That’s what I’m getting at.

Quote:
And since you are inevitably going to take it this way, no I don't suggest to let the rioters run amok but I also don't think using a shotgun on them is anywhere close to an appropriate response. Let's not falsely equate violent protesters to violent police. This is the way the police chose to play and it should not be surprising that the protesters aren't simply going to roll over and accept it.
Selective portrayal by the media and social media alike means the rioter’s instigation is not shown. The police have not started any violence, the violence ensues as a result of it becoming increasingly difficult to dissuade rioters from dealing damage or trespassing. The shotgun was loaded with bean bags, not buckshot, and the full video shows the rioters threatening officers first. Without a full picture, I’d anticipate that discussion moving ahead will be based on emotion and speculation, which isn’t particularly useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
And that is not to saying of strong rumors persist about police officers disgusing themselves as protesters before they launch Molotov cocktails and thus are responsible for vandalism.
Rumours are merely thus. Until hard evidence surfaces, I’ll reserve the right to skepticism.