View Single Post
Old 2019-10-03, 14:07   Link #92
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Tasers are actually counted as unreliable because of their mode of operation and effective range (per an NPR article dated June 2019); they’re better at around 2 meters than say, half a meter. Next, had the rioter been left unchecked, other rioters would also swarm the officer and likely have inflicted serious injuries. My original question remains unanswered, and for reference, police have shot folks in my area for wielding a weapon – back in August, a person armed with a baseball bat was shot after making threats and not standing down, and in June, a woman who discharged pepper spray at an officer was killed. By comparison, law enforcement in Hong Kong have been remarkably disciplined: the fact that no one has been killed speaks to this discipline.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like you’re looking at the law enforcement in Hong Kong to just lie down and let rioters continue to vandalise, destroy and even kill at will. The original issue is lost to the violence, and I should make clear that while I am against the extradition bill that started this, dissatisfaction with the bill does not justify destructive acts and violence. There’s a difference between opposing the bill and openly suggesting the rioters should be allowed to conduct arson and murder without consequence.