View Single Post
Old 2019-06-27, 01:36   Link #17
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

On the series as a whole:

There were a couple big issues: Primarily Raphtalia's final bit with the noble who had owned her, and the first episode against the pope. Neither was really a problem with events, but rather with execution. The director just didn't seem to be able to pull it off.

There were a few minor issues: Primarily based on the lack of justification for the power difference between Naofumi's team and the other heroes, towards the end. Also the cheap (but funny) excuse for not telling the other heroes about the ways to better improve their weapons. The pacing was also a bit sloppy at points.

I was disappointed in not getting a bit more of a look at the other heroes' teams, as basically the only ones who had any impact were Mein and Mald. It's understandable why it was like that, but still disappointing. I think my favorite of the other teams was the green-haired martial artist on Ren's team.

But by and large I felt that anime did a very good job at telling its story. Naofumi evolved as a character over the course of the show, an imperfect man struggling through an unfair life. I especially liked his talks with Fitoria, as they showed the grudge he was aware of, but wasn't able to let go of just because of a little talk. Coming immediately after Raphtalia being forced to face her past, those two parts really became the anchor for the entire story.

I'd certainly look forward to another season, though I wouldn't cry if it didn't happen. The ending was solid. No one's story is over, but all the possibilities feel hopeful.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote