View Single Post
Old 2019-06-20, 01:09   Link #27
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
I'm not a source reader and I don't follow Isayama news, but is there any indication other than this setting in the story that he is deliberately trying to send such a message? Just because it's possible to read between the lines to come to such a conclusion doesn't mean the author intended it to be read that way.

As an example, let's bring this interpretation to the extreme. Eldians appearing meek and powerless normally but having the potential to become powerful titans capable of ruling the world is really describing the Japanese race, alluding to how their military used to and still has the potential to be a titan of the world despite the conception that Asians are physically weaker than Whites/Blacks. However, fearing their potential, the ruthless Western outsiders have been turning the Eldian people against their own by injecting fluids (ideas, corrupting influence) into innocent civilians, causing them become mindless monsters that "eat" their own kind and preventing those seeking the sea (conquest, imperialism) from rising up again. The only way to break this cycle is to obtain the Founding Titan power held within Paradis, which represents the Japanese emperor's ability to unite the race towards one will. It is also being seeked by invaders (immigrants), whose conquest along the way has been destroying the great Walls representing the cultural heritage and traditions of the people.

Whew, isn't it fun reading between the lines!
You had me at the first sentence but when you start saying things like "Injections are a metaphor or corrupting ideas" that's when it starts to feel a bit flimsy.

Yes you can Fanwank anything to however you want it to be. But not all opinions are equal and you have to evaluate the weight of the evidence presented to you.

For example, Isayama showed Grisha and his sister wearing armbands and living in segregated areas controlled by police in a Germanic setting. I would find it incredibly unlikely that Isayama just thought of this in a vacuum and didn't know about Jewish ghettos in Nazi Germany. I'm sure you see how much easier it is to see that this is meant to be a direct allusion as opposed to interpreting injections as a metaphor for corrupting ideas.

I'm not saying my interpretation is clear cut. It could very well be wrong and i can accept that. But when I gave my interpretation I made an effort to give all the details within the show that would explain why. I make a very strong effort to avoid Fanwank as a general rule of thumb. I hate Fanwanking. But at the same time stories also tell messages and it's important to listen to what the story is trying to say.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote