View Single Post
Old 2019-06-19, 20:06   Link #29
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
You've missed my point as well apparently. My argument is over the futility of going out of their way to save people from collateral damage when they're going to kill them anyway as an end result of their own exact actions. It's a pointless waste of their time. You can try to rationalize it as internal conflict but contradictions are contradictions. They're trying to make themselves feel better even though they're still killing people, even if they aren't swinging the weapon that cuts them down or cast the spell either.

A way to define hypocrisy: the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

What is their excuse of sacrificing a world and it's inhabitants to save their world. IS it the only way? Can they even know it's the only way? They "show" they have morals but they are still two people who consider genocide on a global scale to protect their world is an unfortunate but acceptable price. Trying to claim letting innocent people die as a result of collateral damage is bad so they save them instead rings hollow in the face of that.
You made my point for me with that definition. They never said what they're doing is the right or moral thing, and they never said anything about it being right or wrong to save people or anything like that. You're imposing assumptions of morals on them as well as assumptions of how much or little they know about the Waves. It could very well be that they're wrong and there are other ways to deal with the waves. It could even be that they're completely mistaken and killing the other Heroes and dooming this other world won't do anything. But they have clearly been completely convinced of it, and we have no real reason to believe that this was a conclusion they came to lightly.

If you choose you can certainly view this as them claiming some moral high ground or trying to make themselves feel better by saving people they're going to kill anyway, but I for one think it fits better and is a preferable viewpoint to think that jumping in to save people in danger is kind of wired into them (something I'd expect of a serious long-term hero) to the point that even if they know they're on a mission that will end in those people's death they still save them for now out of habit or reflex, or because there really is a part of them that can't stand this and in these short term moments that side wins out.

But again you didn't answer my question. Suppose for a moment that, knowing that doing so would doom their world to destruction or at least doom millions to death over the course of the Waves, those three chose not to attack the Heroes on the other side. They travel about and do their best to actively save people in trouble and protect them from the Waves. But they're refusing to carry out an action that would put an end to these Waves and save millions more than they can protect on their own. Are they hypocrites for trying to save and protect these people they're dooming by inaction?