View Single Post
Old 2019-06-19, 19:15   Link #27
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
You missed my first part about it being an automatic thing. And while I agree that their actions are contradictory, it takes more than that to make a person a "hypocrite". To be a hypocrite they'd have to demonstrate some sort of contradiction between their stated values and their actions or something like that. Or maybe condemn others for actions that they're taking. What they're doing isn't hypocrisy, it's internal conflict: they hate the idea of killing innocent people for the sake of their own world, and when they see people in trouble they help them without thinking about it, but they have to do what they're doing. Again, would they be hypocrites if they fought the waves and struggled to protect the people of their world while refusing to go and kill the Heroes of the other world? They'd still be saving people that they'd condemned by their own choices. That's the thing about the trolley conundrum: there is no good answer and no answer makes you a "hypocrite".
You've missed my point as well apparently. My argument is over the futility of going out of their way to save people from collateral damage when they're going to kill them anyway as an end result of their own exact actions. It's a pointless waste of their time. You can try to rationalize it as internal conflict but contradictions are contradictions. They're trying to make themselves feel better even though they're still killing people, even if they aren't swinging the weapon that cuts them down or cast the spell either.

A way to define hypocrisy: the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

What is their excuse of sacrificing a world and it's inhabitants to save their world. IS it the only way? Can they even know it's the only way? They "show" they have morals but they are still two people who consider genocide on a global scale to protect their world is an unfortunate but acceptable price. Trying to claim letting innocent people die as a result of collateral damage is bad so they save them instead rings hollow in the face of that.