View Single Post
Old 2019-06-19, 14:10   Link #12
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
I find it pretty hypocrtical however that L'arc and Therese are apparently taking such care not to harm anyone on the scene who isn't a Hero or directly attacking them when their murdering of the Heroes is quite literally telling this whole world and everything in it to go die please. I suppose this is to show they're actually good people undertaking a tragic duty to protect their world, blah blah blah, their hearts hurt, blah blah blah. It's still hypocritical.
I'd have to partly differ. I got the feeling it was sort of reflexive. He's used to being a hero, both in title and in the behavior of putting himself out there to help others, so when he sees someone in trouble he jumps in automatically. And in any case this is sort of a version of the Trolley problem. You know, the ethical question that has a group of people tied to the tracks with a trolley approaching and the only way to save them is to turn the trolley onto another track where another person's tied up. You can declare "they're hypocrites" or "they're horrible people" or any number of things, but really there's no good answer to the situation. They had two options, either let their families and countless people back home die or set up an entirely different set of people to die. Either way they have blood on their hands. Would they be any less hypocritical if they tried to save people while refusing to save their world? If you're trapped in a position where any action you do or don't take will result in death, does that make it hypocritical for you to say you don't like that people are going to have to die? Or does it just make you a sad person faced with a tragic situation?