View Single Post
Old 2019-06-17, 18:45   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Then again, I’m not entirely sure it’s that simple either. Fundamentally, even without the Marlyans making things worse, the Eldians are still caged in walls besieged by weapons of their own creation. And Grisha isn’t entirely being painted in a good light here. His fundamentalism ultimately turned his son against him. And then there’s that perverse bit of irony that Grisha’s first wife promises him that regardless of turning into a mindless titan her love is so strong that she’d find him again….and that love ends up leading her to Eren’s house where she eats Grisha’s second wife. If the story is treating Grisha as being righteous it sure isn’t rewarding him for it. And then there’s that King Fritz/Reiss who Kenny was friends with. He obviously sides with his supposedly coward ancestor who retreated to the island but he was portrayed in a totally admirable light. He was seen as wise and respectable and portrayed far more positively than Grisha.

One thing that bugs me though: Like I said, it’s ironic that the same race of humans is so besieged by the very thing that characterises them but it’s also rather weird that despite Marlyans hating Eldians for being titans, they have absolutely no issue creating more titans and letting them run amok. That I just don’t get.
Whatever King Fritz's reasons were for isolating most of his race from the rest of the world and brainwashing them, he must have had really good ones considering that after inheriting his memories, all of his descendants respected his will.

The Marleyans are creating titans on Paradis island. The only people they bother are their fellow Eldians living on the island, and we know from Ymir's account that being a mindless titan is hell, so they probably see this as a fitting punishment for the "devils" who rebel against them.