View Single Post
Old 2019-06-05, 14:07   Link #11
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Ahh questions.. I watched the last 2 episodes on the same day so I'll probably repeat some of the discussion from last episode:

1. We never got to know why the king hated the shield, looks like the source material didn't address this as well. This is very important as everything started from this one fact based on that trial. If the king didn't hate the shield so much the pope would've had a harder time trying to demonize the shield, even with myne's help.

2. We never got to know how myne became so evil, or what she did to lose the position of heir to her younger sister. Again, your garden variety court/royal intrigue about political power or throne inheritance cannot explain all the hate myne had for the shield. She went above and beyond in her quest to demonize the shield, and this cannot be explained merely by saying that she was working with the church.

If we're to follow the flow of events, malty hated the shield, framed him and then when melty joined the shield malty claimed melty was brainwashed and tried to kill her as well. Killing the crown princess was NOT her main goal, killing melty was for the purpose of framing the shield hero.

Again, why is this the case? was it because malty knows why her father hated the shield so much? If so even then it still doesn't answer why she was that evil, right until now when she tried poisoning their food, even after being left off from the guillotine and letting her stay inside the castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I assume she thought that if she got in her father's and the church's favor (and got her sister out of the way), it might support her assent to power. Basically, as someone who had already lost the rightful position as heir, she was willing to use whatever twisted means were at her disposal to gain an advantage.

(Of course, she was a bit too wrapped up her delusions of power to realize the church would betray her. Why share power with a royal family so unstable and dysfunctional when you can just get rid of them and keep all the power to yourself? As someone who tried to kill her own sister, the thought really should have occurred to her, but I guess she was a bit too caught up in her own lying ways to consider the lies others would tell her.)
This explanation makes a lot of sense, but all these is based on the premise that myne's goal was the throne, and she was using everyone to get it. Melty joining the shield's party was just a happy coincidence that made it easy for her to get rid of her sister and the shield at the same time, and naofumi was just an innocent young boy from another world who happened to become the shield hero and victimized by a princess trying to take the throne.

But i don't think she could've foreseen how the queen and melty would take the shield's side. If melty did go against the shield the church would've been satisfied and their father, which we already know adored melty, would've sided with melty too, so what would've happened to myne's schemes then?

And again, as we saw, she already lost all her reputation and status but she's still trying to poison their food. It might just be that this is revenge against the shield for the humiliation she endured because of the name change, but he saved her life! Why is she like this??

3. I accept that the queen was away in another country and couldn't have come sooner (thanks to everyone who kept telling me this week after week, you were correct ) BUT if she was aware of the situation before then why not send the secret service to the king and tell him to cut it out or face the consequences when she comes back? If she can send somebody to send messages to all the heroes and have somebody follow melty around as security, why wasn't she able to tell her own husband to stop being a dick to the shield hero?

It's possible she sent a message off-screen telling the king to be kind to the shield hero, it's possible she knows it won't happen because the king for some reason hates the shield so much, but based on the trial the king was surprised with all these allegations so I doubt that the queen warned the king beforehand.

she already conveniently appeared when the plot required her to, but that was explained somewhat by that international forum she talked about, and yet..

4. The queen mentioned that in the international forum she went to, it was agreed that each country would get 1 heroes each, but the pope and the king went ahead and summoned all 4 so she had to placate everyone. How hard was it for her to ask the king to send her the shield in the first place? Everyone hated the shield, she knew the truth as to what happened with myne, so why didn't she have the shield sent to her and give him to another country as a token of goodwill?

It's possible that by giving away the shield to another country, others would demand to get one as well, which will make the kingdom suffer more from the waves by having 3 less heroes, but the queen can just decide this on her own since that's what was agreed to anyway, and all in the name of placating the other countries from the blunder of the king.

This all boils down to the queen not doing something sooner to resolve the situation even though everyone follows whatever comes out of her mouth. Sending melty might've been a right move in her mind, but she didn't instruct her properly and let her ride titan sized turkeys instead.

5. The queen's words might be the law, so she could just say that from now on it will be the church of the FOUR heroes, but you can't change the hearts of the people that easily. If you've spent your life knowing that the shield is the devil then that won't change overnight! Only that guy in armor that picked a fight with raph was brave enough to voice this opinion out I guess.

We did see the last 2 characters in the 2nd OP this time, so that's nice, and we might get to see some action next week too.