View Single Post
Old 2019-05-24, 19:29   Link #39
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I've been keeping up in the novels (lots of free time) and I haven't seen one thing there either to indicate the slightest support of slavery or disdain toward women. Disdain toward particular women, sure, but women in general no. He's certainly a bastard and thinks himself even worse than he is, but he's not a misogynist or someone who likes the idea of owning someone and being able to circumvent consent. Honestly, I still get the very strong feeling that this is just a demonstration of the power of initial impressions. He does a few things at the beginning that are deliberately extreme, and as a result every step he takes afterward is interpreted differently, resulting in potentially events and actions being interpreted as pro-slavery or misogyny that would be interpreted differently without these initial assumptions. Besides, we're dealing with the anime in this thread, and even if you can find a way to interpret Naofumi in such a way in the light novels, in the anime he's not any of this.

So you're telling me that when he first got Raph, in the LN, he didn't state that he could almost pretend that she was Myne being controlled and enslaved by him?