View Single Post
Old 2019-05-24, 16:09   Link #38
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
The entire universe was designed to make Naofumi look good regardless of how awful he acts or how contrived it makes the world building. It is a huge example of the "They made me do it " defense.

Naofumi was quite happy to call out the other heroes for the unintended side effects of their good deeds so he should be called out for the unintended side effects of his evil deeds, i.e. boosting the market for slaves. And yes, Naofumi has had his rough edges ground down more in every iteration since the web novels(the changes from web novel to light novel were huge) however he still has an irrational reaction to women even in the anime otherwise Raphtalia would not have a slave seal right now.

As for why I still watch the show while not being a big fan of Naofumi and a lot of the world building it is because I like fantasy anime and this season there is this and Kenja no Mago.
You're free to your opinion, but again I strongly disagree, in part because of statements of the author posted a long time ago, as I said. In a sense it's a two-sided coin. One can look at it as just trying to get away with stuff using the excuse of "they made me do it", or one can look at it the way the author has publicly endorsed, as an exploration of the way persecution and desperation can impact a person and make them do things they'd normally never even consider.

And as for "boosting the slave market" to this point he's bought one slave total. And we haven't heard one thing up to this point about any changes to the market at all. Not to mention that he didn't want Raphtalia to go back to being his slave, it was a choice she made.

As for his "irrational reaction to women" you'd have to give me examples because in both this and the parts of the light novel I've read I haven't seen a single instant where he reacts to women any differently than men, aside from the very beginning when he'd been at his absolute lowest and convinced himself to take Raphtalia, where the LN has him reason to himself that he can view her as a proxy for Mein. One singular line to which his actions paint a completely different picture, part of the reason I'd suspected early on that at least half of the cruel things he said and thought in those early parts were just ways for him to either excuse the bad things he felt he needed to do or make a bad thing out of any other choices he made. And yeah, if he hadn't thought that one thought at that one time Raphtalia wouldn't have the seal right now. She'd be wherever the trader throws out his dead merchandise. But aside from that one, SINGLE line since then he's treated men and women the same, showing far more concern for people's attitudes and families and pretty much zero concern for their gender. Once again, entirely a matter of initial impression coloring all future interactions and leading to things being interpreted with preexisting assumptions.