View Single Post
Old 2019-05-24, 11:47   Link #36
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Wow. It'd be hard to make a statement I agree with less. Motoyasu isn't there to be someone Naofumi can be better than for one thing. As I've said several times, partly based on the author's own statements about the intent of the story, the three are not there to make the hero look good, they're just there to be bad. You can have a representation of a negative character type without it being there for the purpose of making someone else look good by comparison; he can be and in this case I'd argue IS there just to demonstrate the negative on his own.

And seriously, Naofumi has not once stated he thinks slavery is good or bad, only that he was pushed into a corner where he had no alternative (again, something the author claimed to be aiming for: the depths to which one may sink for the sake of survival under persecution). And he has not ONCE spoken badly of women or demonstrated any evidence of misogyny. The only thing he's demonstrated is that being a woman won't make him hold back, and that there's one particular woman whom he views with absolute contempt and hatred. So no, he's not pro-slavery and certainly not misogynistic. And I honestly can't imagine someone enjoying a show enough to watch it to this point if they actually believed this to be true of the hero.
The entire universe was designed to make Naofumi look good regardless of how awful he acts or how contrived it makes the world building. It is a huge example of the "They made me do it " defense.

Naofumi was quite happy to call out the other heroes for the unintended side effects of their good deeds so he should be called out for the unintended side effects of his evil deeds, i.e. boosting the market for slaves. And yes, Naofumi has had his rough edges ground down more in every iteration since the web novels(the changes from web novel to light novel were huge) however he still has an irrational reaction to women even in the anime otherwise Raphtalia would not have a slave seal right now.

As for why I still watch the show while not being a big fan of Naofumi and a lot of the world building it is because I like fantasy anime and this season there is this and Kenja no Mago.