View Single Post
Old 2019-05-24, 07:58   Link #35
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Not in the anime, at least. They toned down a lot of his worse nature here, which I'd argue is for the better in truth.
I've been keeping up in the novels (lots of free time) and I haven't seen one thing there either to indicate the slightest support of slavery or disdain toward women. Disdain toward particular women, sure, but women in general no. He's certainly a bastard and thinks himself even worse than he is, but he's not a misogynist or someone who likes the idea of owning someone and being able to circumvent consent. Honestly, I still get the very strong feeling that this is just a demonstration of the power of initial impressions. He does a few things at the beginning that are deliberately extreme, and as a result every step he takes afterward is interpreted differently, resulting in potentially events and actions being interpreted as pro-slavery or misogyny that would be interpreted differently without these initial assumptions. Besides, we're dealing with the anime in this thread, and even if you can find a way to interpret Naofumi in such a way in the light novels, in the anime he's not any of this.