View Single Post
Old 2019-05-23, 19:42   Link #30
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
Actually I would say Ren comes off the best of any of the Heroes. The worst that he ever did was believing a rape accusation and leaving a dragon corpse(a vast source of wealth) for a village that ends up being dangerous in a way that no one seemed to know could happen.

Spear is an idiot and cardboard cutout of a cool, good looking guy for Naofumi to triumph over.

Bow mostly does not take things seriously enough.

Naofumi is a spokesman for the slavery industry and a ball of boiling teenage angst mixed with an incredibly contrived dose of misogyny. And this is the whitewashed version. The webnovel version is just an all around asshole and that is his good side.
Wow. It'd be hard to make a statement I agree with less. Motoyasu isn't there to be someone Naofumi can be better than for one thing. As I've said several times, partly based on the author's own statements about the intent of the story, the three are not there to make the hero look good, they're just there to be bad. You can have a representation of a negative character type without it being there for the purpose of making someone else look good by comparison; he can be and in this case I'd argue IS there just to demonstrate the negative on his own.

And seriously, Naofumi has not once stated he thinks slavery is good or bad, only that he was pushed into a corner where he had no alternative (again, something the author claimed to be aiming for: the depths to which one may sink for the sake of survival under persecution). And he has not ONCE spoken badly of women or demonstrated any evidence of misogyny. The only thing he's demonstrated is that being a woman won't make him hold back, and that there's one particular woman whom he views with absolute contempt and hatred. So no, he's not pro-slavery and certainly not misogynistic. And I honestly can't imagine someone enjoying a show enough to watch it to this point if they actually believed this to be true of the hero.

And Kinematics, as to why the girls fought to bring him back, I'm pretty sure, lies in the difference between using the power and being consumed by it. At first he was fighting it, declaring that he would not surrender to it; he'd remember his rage in order to access the power he needed, but he wouldn't let the rage control him. But then he lost it, allowed the wrath to swallow him and began to forget the world around him, at which point the girls grabbed him and tried to pull him back.