View Single Post
Old 2019-05-15, 22:23   Link #37
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Because it doesn't matter. They don't need trust. They need to work together, because unlike them he knows that if one of them dies, they are all going to follow.

If Naofumi's priority is survival and he's pragmatic about it, which he is given everything he's done just to get to this point, then it's clear what needs to be done. Save the unrelated matters to after the fight with the guy who has openly declared he's going to kill you all and made several near-successful attempts.
Problem is he's seen what it's like when they try to "work together" in their current mindsets, mindsets that remained unchanged after his previous lectures. Kissing their butts and letting them think that it's all water under the bridge and then "teaming up" with them would be disastrous if it turned out like it did last time, with each of them thinking of themselves as the leader and the others as backup, pretending to "work together" when really it's just three jerks playing main hero and getting mad when the others get in their way while he tries to protect them and hope that the cumulative damage will do the trick.

Thing is, from what's been shown before, they're unlikely to listen to one another past what's convenient and fits their own plans. If one of them spots a threat or an opening and tells the others to follow his instructions do you really think the others would just say "roger"? I'm sorry but I find that very doubtful.

True, he may have chosen a different way to go about it and I don't deny he's far from the perfect hero, but as I said before I don't think this story's about making him look good but rather showing how bad other "heroes" really are. Sort of like how Mitsurugi Kyouya from KonoSuba wasn't there to make Kazuma look like a good guy (being a jerk's part of his charm), but just to show how really pathetic those OP heroes who have their powers handed to them really are, emphasizing this fact by having his pretty head smashed by a bastard who's too weak for words. True, showing how pathetic those types are may elevate his type in some eyes, but that doesn't mean that was the purpose.