View Single Post
Old 2019-05-15, 11:28   Link #5
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'd say it is a situation with 4 equally stupid heroes. Despite getting the chance to say what he wants, Naofumi isn't much better than any of them. It is only the threat of death from the Filolial Queen that is pushing him to cooperate with them on any level. He conveniently forgets his own mistakes, his tapping into slavery, or the harm he's inflicted upon his own party members by using a cursed shield.

They are all idiots. Every single one of them. They've all screwed up either as people or in terms of their position as heroes. That they spend a critical period where they could have gone on the offense arguing is a perfect reflection of that. One of them gets the benefit of being the main character and thus doesn't get called out for it. But they are all on similar footings. Although the spear guy is probably the biggest idiot out of all of them.

Not that the villain isn't any worse here. I don't think this guy has a remotely coherent plan. Great you've wiped out the 4 heroes...now what are you going to do about those waves of annihilation? Maybe he just figures carrying a huge group of people around and hoping not to get overwhelmed or out maneuvered will let things work out fine. His firepower can't even easily overwhelm Naofumi's defense. Good luck if anything coming is tougher than the Shield.
We'll just have to disagree here. Naofumi doesn't seem to me to be portrayed as just "disregarding" the damage he's caused the others, for one thing; in fact he worried about that on a few occasions and was beside himself when Raphtalia was injured by his actions. He recognized his mistakes and dealt with them over time. He didn't realize that his conflict with the others was pretty much guaranteed to spell doom for the world, and when it was spelled out to him he agreed to do his best; not to mention that his difficulty giving the others a chance is largely connected to their idiocy. From what I've seen, while he's hardly a saint, he does pay attention and remember his mistakes. And as for his tapping into slavery, it was an absolute necessity that put one child under his power who would have died otherwise. The morality beyond that immediate necessity belongs in another thread however.

Basically, from my perspective, Naofumi's done some things of questionable morality, but he hasn't made any huge mistakes that cost countless lives. The other three have and even after being told this repeatedly they just shrug it off because they're "the heroes".

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2019-05-15 at 11:46.