View Single Post
Old 2019-05-15, 10:35   Link #3
BWTraveller
Born to ship

One thing I'll say since I know people will probably be complaining, I for one do not see this as the author making a bunch of worthless heroes to make the main character look better than he is. Rather, it seems more a critique of "heroes" in general, how convenient things are for heroes in other stories that they don't really need to follow through and think about the deeper consequences of their actions. The other three view themselves as absolute heroes, even after the dressing down. Rather than taking things to heart when he says they're no better than the Pope, they just stand up and say "at last all four of us fight together". Accept the reprimand and continue heroing. I'm pretty sure this really is what you'd get from most gamers if you suddenly made them heroes, fools who think that any mistake is to be shrugged off and pushed past, and that everyone else is basically an NPC there to tell him what to do or where he could have done better. Either that or cowards who can't step out the castle door in fear of fighting something that's not made of pixels on a screen. True, if you tell a story that has the hero dealing with horrible jerks he's going to look better by comparison, but that doesn't mean the intent wasn't to rip at the failings of the jerks.

Also, I'm pretty sure when Raphtalia was written saying that everything Motoyasu says is hollow that this was a mistranslation. I'm pretty sure she actually said something to the effect of "he sure seems to be enjoying himself". Basically instead of being furious and worried over the extreme threat they're suddenly faced with he just thinks "cool, boss battle!"