View Single Post
Old 2019-05-08, 12:45   Link #6
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinotachi View Post
This episode was kinda fast if I'm being honest but not bad, I wonder if Motoyasu's IQ can reach 2 digits because holy shit he's so dumb, he can't even think for himself and instead he does everything malty wants instead of trying to reach the truth.

Finally we got the Pope, quite smart strategy he has there, trying to kill the heroes and wiping out the royalty all at the same time while blaming the Shield Hero for all this. Of course Naofumi and Co. aren't going to sit there and just watch, can't wait to see what's going to happen next episode.
I don't know if I'd call him THAT dumb, just loyal to extreme fault. It reminds me of an old series by David Eddings, in which you had an entire kingdom obsessed with honor and chivalry. Everyone outside thought of them as imbeciles, but eventually it became clear that they were just so committed to their concept of honor that they couldn't allow themselves to break from it even when it seems to demand the most ridiculous and idiotic actions (thus why they'd been stuck in civil war for around a century: their honor compels them to continue). Same with Motoyasu: he's absolutely committed to supporting, defending and trusting his allies, to the point that you could present any amount of evidence that they are just using him and never thought of him as a companion and he'd deny every last bit of it; his personal code won't let him do otherwise. Mein will have to directly abandon or betray him before he'd be willing to doubt anything she says.