View Single Post
Old 2019-04-17, 12:42   Link #8
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Sheesh Tubby sure was a sicko wasn't he? This week we probably got more of a look than we ever wanted at poor Raphtalia's tragic backstory. Village destroyed, parents killed, village remains raided and people enslaved, ending up in a fat bastard's torture dungeon.

Sadly Japan's culture views are in full play and we learn our "thou shall not kill for revenge" lesson we've seen about a few infinity times before. I dunno, after all that I'd think you'd want to see some blood. Ah well, culture differences. Sadly her best friend was unable to be saved and it was sad to hear Raphtalia's brokenhearted crying. At least her other friend was able to be rescued along with two extras who don't actually matter.

Turns out lard bucket survived his fall and summoned Jurassic Park to get squished for his trouble. Cmon Trex couldn't you have eaten him or something? I mean look at the meat on that butterball.

Next time. The crew vs Trex.
That's hardly a "Japanese culture" thing. Just about every superhero story I've seen where the hero took vengeance on someone who killed a loved one, a point is made about how empty and futile it is, and in many cases if they encounter someone else trying to engage in vengeance they do their best to convince them not to, that it'd just leave them empty and broken, searching for another villain to hate.

Of course, karma is also a big point and most of the time even if the hero doesn't kill the villain they still die. Either that or they try to kill the hero or someone else and thus give the hero an excuse.