View Single Post
Old 2019-04-10, 19:44   Link #17
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
So it seems like a lot of this anti Demi-Human sentiment popped up after something occurred during the First Wave, which I guess is when something bad happened to the king's other family which is why he sicked the knights on Raphtalia's village (if I'm following the order of events correctly). Was there some kind of a rebellion that the original Shield Hero led or inspired? Maybe Sitvelt led an incursion into Melromarc to cause a Demi-Human uprising ?
I don't think so? The impression I got was that the lord that used to rule that area (and was killed during the first Wave) was attempting to mend relations with the demi-humans. That implies this hostility has been going on for much longer than that.

Also remember that the first Wave was only a few months before the summoning, at best. That's not nearly enough time to build up the type of racial hatred we see here.

Quote:
With her magic, I have to imagine Melty was probably safe from that noble, but getting distracted and grabbed gave a legitimate reason for Naofumi and company to really step in .
Sort of. She was holding her hands out like she was preparing to fire off one of her water blasts, to the point that I was surprised that she was just warning him off and not actually casting the magic. The only thing I can figure is that, from what we've seen of magic casting, it requires a pretty long chant phrase before taking effect, and she's likely pretty vulnerable during that time. (EG: Interrupting the chant might cancel the magic? Focusing on the chant itself might lock you in place, preventing you from defending?) I'm guessing that casters normally need protection while casting in order for them to be effective.

Edit: Not to mention the sheer difference in body sizes.